How Your Mindset And Communication Skills Can Affect Your Career Success
Hi from Speak More Clearly!
How does your mindset and communication skills affect your career success?
In this live discussion, learn the difference and importance of mindset and communication skills with Speak More Cleary’s Esther Bruhl – – with our special guest, Deborah Grayson Riegel.
Meet Esther Bruhl
Esther is a speech and language pathologist who helps adults improve their accent in English and speak fluently. Esther says, “I used to have a whole lot of people walking to my clinic saying – We’re having very great trouble getting our message across, or getting a job because when we get into an interview, our accent is fairly thick. We are not getting the jobs or the promotion that we want. We’re not feeling very confident about how we’re speaking, because our first language is not English and we have an accent.”
Through Speak More Clearly’s online courses, people can learn to speak English fluently and pronounce English more clearly with an American accent, British accent, or Australian accent. We also have one-on-one coaching for people who want to have specialized coaching and improve their speech faster.
Meet Deborah Graysin Reigel
How to Communicate Effectively in relation to Career Success
The discussion involves these 5 main topics:
1. The definition of mindset and communication.
2. Tips for non-native English speakers in mastering communication.
- Select a topic first and what is the main point that you want to get
- Put your audience first regardless of where people come from
- Putting your audience’s concerns at the top of the agenda of your presentation is how you get your audience to pay attention
3. What are some factors that can help build our communication?
It’s really recommended that people not just build pauses which certainly helps you to communicate more clearly but build engagement opportunities. Other helpful tips can be found here.
4. What is the importance of soft skills?
The interesting thing is when people come from a different culture to an English-speaking culture there are certain soft skills that are expected. Here are some of the soft skills you should consider (you can use these during a job interview):
- In English-speaking countries, you need to smile yes to connect with whoever is interviewing you
- A whole lot of other things about the body and holding yourself tight
- Eye contact
- If you want to get better at your career, you need to come to some understanding that you can adapt
- Building rapport
- To step into an interview also – like if you put your coat on for the situation and then you take your coat off again
5. How is assertiveness going to affect your career success?
Politeness is important yes in English-speaking culture. A great example is when you’re writing an email, go back and add the politeness, do a second thought if needed, and do an emotional proofread. How will it feel for somebody to read this and then change the tone a little bit to be mindful of not just content but tone — communication and mindset come into this part.
We hope that insights of this conversation helps give you the tools to navigate your own career.
Gain confidence and start your journey today with Speak More Clearly!